In this article, we will briefly discuss the definition of cardio workouts and the reasons behind doing them. It increases the oxygen carrying capacity of our blood and improves our cardio-vascular system. Moreover, we will also discuss some of the most straightforward, and best cardio workouts at home as well. You can do these exercises without any particular skill or equipment as well.
What Is A Cardio Workout?
Cardio workouts, also known as aerobic exercises, are the most common exercises for weight loss. These workouts increase our heart, breathing, and body metabolism rate. It mainly focuses on improving and strengthening our cardio-vascular system. Your heart, lungs becomes stronger after a strict regimen of cardio workouts. There are some anaerobic versions of cardio workouts as well.
Why Should We Do Cardio Workouts?
Cardio exercises increase our heart rate and strengthen our muscles. It helps you burn body fat, maintain a healthy weight, increases bone density and reduces the risk of lifestyle-related diseases. Doing regular cardio can help you to develop a stronger core. Moreover, you will get fit, slim and even a toned body to go with it. It also lowers the risk of dementia and increases our life span. Combine different types of cardio workouts for the most benefit.
What Are The Best Cardio Workouts For Home?
In today's stressful and fast-paced world, we often can't find the time to go to a gym for a cardio workout. Moreover, it is quite expensive and time-consuming to go to a gym too. However, you can perform cardio workouts at home with the help of a physical trainer. You can either opt for exercises with or without expensive cardio equipment. An important point to note, you must consult a doctor before starting any cardio workouts too. Without further ado, here are some of the best cardio exercises which you can do at home:
The easiest and simplest cardio workout which can be done at home is skipping. All you need is a skipping rope. If you don't have a skipping rope, you can use a long and sturdy cord. If you skip for 20 minutes continuously, you will burn more than 200 calories. Besides, you don't need to possess special skills to do this particular activity. You can do this exercise at any place and any time as well.
- First, stand straight, hold your spine and head erect, and hold the rope behind your body.
- Next, swing the rope forward, hop over it and jump on your toes. Move your wrists and hand along with the handles.
2. Jumping Jacks
Jumping jacks are another easy cardio workout which you can try out at home. It does not require either any special equipment or skills. It burns 100 calories in 10 minutes. It tones your outer and inner thighs as well, in addition to increasing your heart rate. Avoid these if you have weak heart conditions or joint problems. There are many variations of the exercise as well, such as plyo-jacks, holding a medicine ball, and push-up jacks.
- Stretch your arms and legs well and stand straight, keeping your spine and head erect.
- Put your arms beside your body, and keep your feet together.
- Next, slightly bend your knees and jump up high in the air!
- Your legs must spread out just a little wider than your shoulders before the jump.
- Stretch your hands in line with the shoulders.
- Then, make sure your feet rest on the floor at shoulder width while your hands are stretched out above the head while coming down.
- Repeat the above steps without any break for sometime.
Spot jogs, are another workout which can be done at home at your convenience. Lift your knees as high as possible and try to kick your rear end. Try to use your arms to elevate your heartbeat rate thus benefiting more from this exercise. The best thing about this exercise is that you can do it at any time and any place without any special equipment or skills. Avoid this exercise if you have any injury or any joint problems in your leg or lower back.
4. Stair Climbing
If you don't want to spend money on buying expensive cardio equipment but have the same benefit, then start climbing stairs. It burns only about 500-600 calories if a 180-lb man climbs at a moderate pace. It increases the strength of leg muscles as higher leg lift is involved than just walking. Stair climbing also puts significant pressure on your leg joints and muscles. Avoid this exercise if you have bad knees or any forms of arthritis.
5. Skater Squat
If you want to have a slimmer body, then this exercise is for you. Skater squats are great because they burn calories and involves your core muscles while doing the squats. Your abdomen muscle, your glutes, etc. benefit most from this exercise.
- Stand straight, spine and head erect while keeping your feet together and your arms beside your body.
- Extend your left arm backward and jump to your left.
- Bring your right fist toward your chin.
- The left foot should be on the floor, while the right leg is raised backward.
- Then squat swiftly and instantly!
6. Jump Lunges
This is one of the cardio workouts to try at home which helps in toning the thighs and escalating your heart beats without any types of equipment. Lunges also improve your body coordination, and the lower half of the body becomes more supple and toned.
- Like any other exercise, stand straight while keeping your spine and head erect.
- Keep your feet together, and hands beside your body
- Breathe in and then lunge forward with the right leg and bend your elbows, fold your hands into fists.
- Move your left hand in front of your chest, while resting the right hand on your hip.
- Next, quickly jump while switching your arms and legs, and thus lunging back with your left foot on the floor.
- Continue doing it by alternating your legs until you complete one set.
It can be seen that there are many cardio workouts which you can do at your home. Skipping, stair climbing and jumping jacks are some of the best cardio workouts at home. These exercises will help you to lose weight and strengthen your muscles. However, before starting a workout regimen, you must consult with your doctor and physical trainer. Don't overexert yourself, have some rest in between the exercises. If you want to go for tougher workouts, don't do it without proper guidance. It can cause more harm to your body than good if you do that.